Friday, September 26, 2008

Adoption

I was reading an article this morning about motherhood. As I read, "Parents can offer a unique and wonderful kind of prayer because they are praying to the Eternal Parent of us all. There is great power in a prayer that essentially says, 'We are steward-parents over Thy children, Father; please help us to raise them as Thou wouldst want them raised'."

Although Doug and I have not been given the opportunity to have children on our own I have always kind of felt that no matter if you create, carry and bring a child into the world, or have them placed into your arms from another, they always came from some where else, some one else anyway... we all kind of "adopt" children as our own from God. They are never really ours, but God's. This understanding has greatly helped me over the years to know that our situation in adopting is not that different from bearing children, ultimately. I feel a lot of peace in that knowledge.

I think God gives us perspective and understanding like this at times to help us see the big picture. It is easy, no matter your situation, to start to look around at others and not up God to for answers. There are many circumstances people face that they can say 'why do I have to do this?' or 'why can't I do this?' I have learned and probably keep learing, that God's plan for us is perfect and it is individual, but not often fair, if we compare. I try to remember that and it makes me happy to know that God loves me and is aware of me and even takes time to teach me and help me understand.

7 comments:

Jessica Jane said...

Such a great post! I couldn't agree with you more.

A. Schoonie said...

Emily you are amazing! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts. I hope that all is going well.
Ashlie

Mike and Lisa said...

You are amazing emily! That is so true. I think you are just one of the neatest persons I know! Both you and doug are amazing examples to Mike and I Thank you for being you and our friend!

joni said...

Lovely thoughts. How was your big b-day? I was thinking of you. I have another friend who is obsessed with storing food right now too. You guys should exchange information.:)

Anonymous said...

You are really a truly gifted writer...something that isn't on my long list of talents:) We look forward to the next little amazing life that God intrusts you and Doug. I can't imagine anyone cuter than our little ElBean. Unless it was a boy!!! I miss you all already. Big Sis....auntie mimi

Anonymous said...

I hope you can adopt a lot of kids, because you are so loving, thoughtful, and have many more qualities!!!

Nicki said...

I don't know you, I just randomly clicked on your blog from my sister-in-law's today, but I wanted to let you know how much I appreciate you posting those thoughts. I have some really challenging and personal struggles and am having a really hard time overcoming them and your thoughts were just what I needed to read today.
Thank you.