Saturday, September 13, 2008

CANNING SEASON!

I love fall for many reasons, but one of the best is that it is time to can. I am so excited for all the food we are putting up. I started salsa today, yum! The whole house smells good. Doug gave me a food processor for Christmas and I have put it to good use. Wow, it makes it so easy to make salsa! I am posting the recipe for anyone who wants to try it! I also love the colors and the cool weather. I have had all our windows open and it is so nice! I love fall! I am canning more salsa, peaches, peach salsa, green chilies and applesauce next week, along with crushed tomatoes I am sure. We have a great local farm that is pick your own for really reasonable prices. I will be super busy, but it is great!!!


My beautiful garden... I am still waiting for the tomatoes to turn.



I made this wreath and am quite pleased with the result. Doug thinks it is ugly, but I didn't ask hime anyway! Ha!


Homemade Canned Salsa

5 gallon bucket full of ripe tomatoes
6
Anaheim peppers
18 jalapeno peppers (wear gloves, the seeds can burn your hands)
**if you leave seeds, it will be hot…the more the seeds, the hotter the salsa
8 cups chopped celery (I just use 1 large bundle)
12 bell peppers
8 cups chopped onions
4 cups vinegar
2 cups sugar
1 cup salt (yes, one cup- it's not a typo)
4 T cumin
2 T black pepper
1 bulb garlic

Wash, core and chop tomatoes. I like Roma the best, they have less juice and more meat. Hand chopping at least half of the tomatoes will make your salsa chunkier, the other half you can puree in a food processor. Wash, seed and chop all other vegetables. You can do it all by hand, but a food processor is recommended because of the quantity for this recipe. Combine all ingredients in LARGE pot (I use my pressure canner) and bring to a boil. Boil for 1-2 hours (stirring occasionally) or until salsa is cooked down to the consistency you like. The longer it boils, the thicker the salsa. Fill prepared jars ¼ inch from the top and process in a hot water bath for 35 minutes. Yield about 32 pints.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Em dog, you know i'll never make that salsa, but i wish i was there to eat it! ellie is so big! Hope you are doing well! Ray dog

milnuts said...

The wreath is GREAT! Why ask Doug oh wait he just gave you his opinion didn't he???? :)

A. Schoonie said...

You are one busy lady with the canning. Your pictures look awesome and it looks like you have been up to a lot of fun activities as well.
We were sad that we did not have a chance to tell you "hello" on Sunday. You left too quickly. Hope all is well!
Ashlie

Suebee said...

Wish we could see you more. Your blog makes me feel closer to you.