Sunday, March 30, 2008

A Typical Day in the Life of...

Today was a typical day for me. In the kitchen preparing breakfast I was ramrodding around like a good Arlander should, and I had a little paring knife in my hand. Some how, throwing some trash away I cut my finger. It's in one of the worst places, right at the base of my finger where it bends. Nice. It will be a hard spot to heal. I cut myself a couple times a week, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.
Then Doug was making waffles and whipping the egg whites up in a high powered mixer, way longer than they needed to be. I wanted to shut off the machine and Doug got possessive of his waffles and didn't want me to touch anything. I told him that you can over whip egg whites-- I spend a lot more time cooking and know these kinds of things, but hey "do what you want". Of course, I was totally making crap up to get my way. It worked. A little while later he said, "So what happens if the egg whites get too stiff?" Nothing... I was just making crap up so you'd stop whipping them. He screamed, "I knew it!" Well, I am always making crap up he says. Sometimes I even believe my own lies. This time though, I knew I didn't know what I was talking about.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you make me laugh, you are just like your dad....making stuff up!!

Anonymous said...

Nice sis. I think we all learned from the best; "D".

As for the albumen, there are many cited cases of over-whipping. What typically happens is that the cytoplasm of the egg begins to separate and, if by chance there are fertilized eggs in the mix, the cells of glair become visible; at which point they become sour.

I find it most effective and entertaining if I convince myself that the things I make up are actually true. Anyways, thanks for the laugh.


M

Anonymous said...

Our dad make things up????? Never!! You can ask my husband I didn't inherit this trait from dad.:) Well maybe a little once in a while but sometimes you've just got to do it!