Thursday, May 29, 2008

who's the coolest?

Have you ever met someone and thought, "they are the coolest person!"? If I have the great opportunity to not only meet them, but actually be their friend, I always feel extra blessed to have them in my life. I have a lot of these people I have met through the years, some were short acquanties, others I have know forever. I always still say when I think of them, "they are so cool."

The definition of cool has changed for me over the years. In my youth (I am almost 30 already!) cool was more what you wore, how you looked, if you played sports (and were good:), if you had lots of friends and stuff to do on the weekends. If you have a teenager in your life this might sound familiar... now this is my definition of Cool: friendly, easy to talk to, easily engages people in coversation, confindent in self- comfortable to be themselves. They all have individual skills and a variety of interests, but the single trait that seems to stand out is how I feel in their presence. It is hard to use words to describe that, but to put it simply I feel good around them and sense their goodness. They seem to be at a higher level of self development and happiness in life. Very cool.

Now I will say, I still have a few superficial opinions of cool- for instants Matt Damon, coolest guy on earth. I mean, have you seen his skills in Borne Ultimatum. Big fan. But generally it's my neighbors and friends and family I think of. Here's just a few... (don't be offended if your not listed, I didn't want to take 100 hours to write this entry, you know I love you all!!!)

Jacob and Joni Borg
I met Joni my freshman year at Ricks. Joni is one of the coolest people I have ever met. If you knew her you'd think the same. Joni is totally herself and is great to be around. I miss hanging our with her. Her husband Jacob is equally as cool. One of the first times I ever talked to Jacob he was so nice to me. I think they were just dating at the time and we were sophmores at Ricks. I was pretty insecure in my early days and he made a long conversation with me and found things to talk about- he was so comfortable that it made me comfortable. I am sure her wouldn't remember the exchange, but I immediately liked him and still think back on how he made me feel. You guys are awesome!

Mike and Lisa Carver
Mike and Lisa are our neighbors. We think Mike looks like an FBI agent and is currently trying to be one. Doug says if he doesn't make it he should try show biz because he looks the part, I am sure Without a Trace would take him. Cool guy. Mike is so great with his kids and Ellie loves him! He is funny and works great with the youth in our ward (he serves with Doug in Young Mens). Mike is easy to talk to and would help anyone who needs it. Generally cool people marry cool people and that would be Lisa. I have never heard a negative thing come out of Lisa. One of her girls has health problems and has spent a lot of time in the hospital, had heart surgery before she was one and gets sick a lot. Lisa always has a big smile on her face and never says life is hard. Super cool people.

Mike and Jessica Forsgren
I met Mike and Jessica when I started dating Doug. They, like other listed made me feel comfortable and were really funny and fun to be around. They don't hide their opionions or thoughts, and share who they are. It's easy to get to know someone when they let you in like that. Jessica does tri-atholons and that's cool. Mike calls when a sibling needs to hear something and that's cool too. Glad to call you guys family.

Good people, doing good things and making life good for other people. Who's the coolest!?!

If you have a cool person in your life, let me know, I'd love to hear about them.

3 comments:

Suebee said...

So Cool. I am glad to know you have a blog. I can't wait to read more.

Jessica Jane said...

I made the cool list!! I feel so cool! When do we get to see you guys again? Ann and John are coming out, maybe you could sneak into their van and come with them? You are on the way. It might work.

joni said...

emily- you are too generous! i think you are the coolest!